Course to teach high-school aged girls basic T-SQL using a fun scenario - querying to find the hottest boys! Used at Microsoft DigiGirlz and TKP events.
Included DDL script, CSV for bcp with data, PPTX, T-SQL Cheat Sheet and teaching tips. Enjoy!
More information (for teachers) about the course below.
To teach this class you'll need:
1) A RDMS (SQL Server, SQL Azure or other)
2) A query tool (SSMS or Azure portal w/WLID)
3) To PRINT the CHEAT SHEETS (Word Doc) for each student
4) To Show the PPTX
SETUP for SQL Azure
1) ATTACH Boyfriends.mdf to local SQL Server
2) DOWNLOAD SQL Server Migration Wizard
3) MIGRATE DatingGame from local to your SQL Azure instance
4) ADD Firewall rule for all access
5) ADD WLID for students to access portal
SETUP for SQL Server
1) DOWNLOAD and install SQL Server Express 2008 R2 on each student machine
2) ATTACH Boyfriend.mdf on each machine
3) VERIFY login
For completeness I have also included
1) CSV files of data
2) SSIS package
1) PAIR the students, 2 per machine, one types and the other directs, switch roles after each query
2) SUGGEST that the pairs use the CHEAT SHEET first, you will be surprised that motivated girls will figure out how to ask the questions they are interested in using T-SQL
3) REVIEW new concepts BEFORE and AFTER the girls have used them, i.e. Aggregates.
We'd love to hear from you! Send tips, corrections, etc to Lynn Langit via http://blogs.msdn.com/SoCalDevGal. Also see our SmallBasic site at www.TeachingKidsProgramming.org for more teaching resources.